My mom used to make really delicious meals for us with butternut. I really enjoy this root veggie, because of it’s sweet hearty flavour. Was inspired by Eva to recreate this quick and easy soup, after enjoying her homemade soup
The great part about soup, is that you can play around with the ingredients and remove what you least like. For example, if you don’t like it too spicy leave out the ginger and thai paste. Play around with it, but I’m pretty sure the base recipe is something your whole family will enjoy!
1 sweet potato
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
aprrox. 2 cm freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp corriander seeds
1/2 mustard seeds
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tblsp Thai green curry paste
1 tin Coconut milk
1-2 cubes vegetable stock
– Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
– Half butternut and scoop out the seeds, no need to peel the butternut. Half one sweet potato and wrap the butternut & sweet potato separately in aluminium foil. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, use a fork to check if its soft and cooked inside.
– Once cooked, open up the foil and let them grill on 250 degrees in the oven till golden brown. Set aside and allow to cool.
– Once cool, use a spoon to spoon out all the butternut and mix in a bowl together with the sweet potato till it’s both mashed together.
– In a saucepan, lightly panfry the onion and fresh garlic till soft. Add dry spice mix, cook for about a minute on low heat being careful not to let it burn. Add fresh ginger and all the butternut and sweet potatoe mix.
– Stir in well and add the coconut milk.
– Remove from the heat and spoon out mixture into a food processor or just use a pulser to get the butternut and sweet potato mix into a thick creamy consistency.
– Add approx. 2 cups of water and the stock. Feel free to add less or more water depending on how creamy you like your soup.
– Bring back to low heat, and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander and enjoy! Serve with fresh naan bread or even some quinoa. Tastes delicious cold as well, and freezes well too.
Happy cooking! xoxo